About

Sunday 20 February 2011

“All the very best of …them”

What is the power of music? What is the power of a band? I actually realized it on Friday night when I watched live the American indie rock band The National in Cross-Linx festival in Muziekgebouw Frits Philips Eindhoven; to keep your attention when you don’t know any of their songs; to whisper them while biking back home; to play their songs in repeat mode the day after the concert. The band came on stage, with the drummer reminding me of John Lennon with his round glasses and headband and the frontman looking quite uncomfortable while not singing… The concert begun with Matt Berninger singing

...there's no savin' anything
i'll swallow the shine of the sun
there's no savin' anything
i'll swallow the sun

and me seized by a flood of emotions. During the concert, the two brothers and band’s guitarists, Aaron and Bryce, were really talkative arguing with the vocalist about the difficulty of their songs giving the impression that they enjoyed so much being there, more than the audience! The best moments of the night were two; the wander of the vocalist among the crowed audience, climbing on the seats, sitting for a moment while singing “Mr. November” to finally end up at higher stages of the Airport Zaal. After that spectacular performance I was expecting that the concert would end. I was wrong- I should admit that I was actually a bit disappointed when they went on playing a couple of songs more. However, at the end I realized why… The vocalist called in front of the stage all the band members and invited the audience to sing unplugged. I was speechless and... recording! These are moments you just want to keep forever. Everyone was standing and singing:


Vanderlyle, crybaby, cry
Man it’s all been forgivin'
Swans are a swimmin'
I'll explain everything to the geeks...


Post by Xrysis